Chick Pea Salad
This creamy protein-packed salad satisfies any cravings for tuna salad… and it makes a delicious sandwich for lunch or on the go! This chick pea salad is packed full of protein and vegetables. Prepare it the evening before for simple assembly of sandwiches the day of your next picnic, or toss some on top of fresh lettuce for a hearty salad that’ll fill you up and keep you satisfied for hours!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
CHICK PEA SALAD
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans or one 8 oz can, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, vegan if possible
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, diced
- 2 tablespoons grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, julienned or diced
- 1 tablespoon broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon green onion, sliced
- dash garlic powder
- dash smoked paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- If preparing dry beans, soak 1 cup dry garbanzo beans in filtered water overnight. Drain & add to boiling water and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Cook until tender. Drain & refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours. If from a can, drain 1 8 oz can of garbanzo beans and pour into mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or potato masher, smash beans until just flattened, you don't need to make a mush out of the mixture. You want some texture to the salad, so don't go overboard or get too crazy with mashing.
- Chop all vegetables and remove flesh from the avocado with your fork. Add all ingredients except spices and taste test. Add spices as desired. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Note: Soaking and preparation of dry beans not included in prep time.