Crispy Kale Chips
These kale chips are my go-to snack. I crave them like fries, and that’s good because they’re a muchhealthier alternative. They’re very simple to make and disappear rather quickly, so if you like this recipe, be prepared to share!
Expert Tip: I like to open all of my spices so I can pour them with one clean, dry hand while tossing the kale in the other, making sure to coat every nook and cranny without getting oil all over my spice containers.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 6 full stalks of clean, dry kale (curly or dino, stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pre-heat your toaster oven (preferred) or oven to 450 degrees and remove the tray inside. You'll organize your kale on here and it doesn't need to be hot. *This is the one instance where you'll want to pre-heat first, unlike when your baking cookies and your oven is waiting 30 minutes for you to finish putting the dough together...*
- Rinse your kale and dry it completely - this is very important for it to be crunchy - then remove the stems, breaking the leaves into palm-size pieces. If using dino kale, pull leaves from stem and split in half for bite-size pieces. Be sure to use all of the leaves, even the teeny tiny ones. You'll thank me later.
- Gently toss kale in large bowl with olive oil, taking care not to crush the leaves. Coat as well as possible. Sprinkle spices while tossing to be sure all leaves receive love.
- Organize in a layer on your toaster oven pan. They can overlap each other, you don't need to be OCD with making sure they don't touch. Let them hug each other if they want to.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until brown on edges, then take a spatula and gently toss on the pan to move them around a bit. You don't need to flip each one, they just need a change of scenery.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, then turn off oven and let cool for 2 minutes. They'll increase in crispiness during this time.
- Enjoy as a snack or side!