Fresh Basil Pesto
Make this Sunday night and have it ready all week long! You could make:
- Pesto pasta with garlic bread or green salad
- Pizza with pesto sauce, asparagus, mushrooms and onions
- Pesto hummus (mix pesto into plain hummus) with crackers or a vegetable wrap
- Pesto grits with sautéed vegetables and lemon-herb crostini
- Mix with olive oil, water and coconut aminos for a fresh marinade, or with vinegar for a pesto vinaigrette
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Assembly Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 3 medium stalks of curly green kale, carrot or celery greens
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons juice (half of one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse basil and remove leaves from stems. Toss in food processor or blender. Massage kale thoroughly if using, rinse, then shake vigorously. Remove leaves or greens (if using carrot or celery greens) and add with basil.
- Add remaining ingredients, keeping the olive oil on hand in case more is desired, and pulse until all ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down sides and pulse again.
- Boil water and add pasta until cooked. Drain pasta and add pesto, tossing until incorporated. Serve immediately.
- Pesto can be refrigerated for up to one week in an airtight jar.
- When you bring your kale home from the store, clip off the butts at the end of the stems and put them in a jar of fresh water just so the stem bottoms are submerged and keep in the fridge. They'll stay fresher for much longer this way.