These delicious lemon bars have a surprisingly healthy secret: flax! The flax eggs add a hearty dose of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Who said sweets can’t be good for you? My mom doesn’t eat sweets. She ate two of these. In one sitting. The shortbread crust is just the right amount of flaky and sweet, and it doesn’t compete with the flavor of the filling. Enjoy the recipe for cookies or other treats!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups flour (sub gluten-free if need be; quantity may differ)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 4 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot powder
- pinch turmeric
- zest of 1 lemon, chopped finely
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients for crust until the mixture forms a dough, not too sticky or wet. Press dough into bottom of lightly greased 8" x 8" pan (I used coconut oil and wiped the excess off with a towel). Place pan in oven until crust is lightly golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, beat lemon juice, sugar & flax eggs together with a hand mixer. Add flour, Arrowroot powder, turmeric, and lemon zest, and beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Pour lemon topping over baked crust and bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Mine took closer to 30, but it was a bit brown on top, so if you don't want that, just be sure the consistency of the filling is more like jello and not too runny.
- Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature before placing in refrigerator and allowing to set for at least one hour. Once cool, dust with powdered sugar and serve!