Vitamin Vegetable Soup
This soup is the epitome of comfort food, except it’s hiding a dirty little secret: it’s out to replace your multivitamin. Next time you or someone you know is under the weather, have this recipe on hand! Not a fan of chick peas/garbanzo beans? Use any bean or legume! Just don’t skimp on the veggies. I recommend sourdough toast points or croutons with this soup. They add a buttery tang that takes the texture and comfort level of this veggie soup to a whole other level of ‘mmm’.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 16 ounces dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in 8 oz water and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 head bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup green beans, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon sage, dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dried bay leaf, to be removed prior to serving
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 dried chili pepper
- If preparing from dry beans, soak 1 cup dry garbanzo beans in filtered water overnight. Drain & add to boiling water and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Cook until tender. Drain & refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours. If from a can, drain one 8 oz can of garbanzo beans and pour into pot, add fresh water and broth to large pot over medium-high heat.
- Chop bok choy, carrots, onion, green beans and potatoes. Add ingredients to pot, along with peas, corn and minced garlic. Add spices, vinegar and zest and gently mix so all vegetables are covered with liquids.
- Add bay leaf and chili pepper, cover and reduce heat to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Toast bread or make croutons as detailed in description above. Serve soup hot with toast or croutons.
*Note: Soaking of dry beans not included in prep time.